This Font Software Electronic Publications License Agreement (the "Agreement") is a binding contract between you and Out of Step Font Company. The Agreement becomes binding when you download the software or acquire the software from any hard media.
If you refuse to be bound by the Agreement, you cannot download or use the Font Software.
Please read this entire Agreement before agreeing to be bound. It is recommended that you print this Font Software License Agreement for further reference.
1 Acceptable Use
This Electronic Publications License Agreement is intended to apply to limited usages of the Font Software. The acceptable use of the Font Software under the License Agreement is described in the following section.
The Electronic Publications License is applicable to an Electronic Publication, understood to mean any collection of text and graphics stored in an electronic form and intended for consumption by an individual or entity who downloads or accesses the document to run on a hardware device.
The Electronic Publications License entitles you to the use of the Font Software as listed below. Limitations and exemptions on the below-listed usages are further described in the Agreement.
- Use of Font Software embedded in an e-text product (Electronic Publication)
- Electronic publication such as an eBook, eMagazine, eNewspaper, or PDF
- New license required for each issue
- New license required for a revised or updated publication
- Electronic publication can be made available for sale, or offered for free as part of a paid membership
1.1 Additional Publications
Under the Electronic Publications License, additional licenses are required for each publication. The number of separate and distinct Electronic Publications into which the Font Software may be embedded may never exceed the number of Electronic Publications purchased.
The following uses are exempted from requiring an Electronic Publications License:
- Static graphic images included in an electronic publication (see Standard and Multi-Use License Agreement)
- Regional or format variations of document for which a license is held
- Updated or revised versions of a document for which a license is held, if offered free to previous customers
- Documents distributed in connection with a commercial transaction if the consideration is unrelated to such document, such as business letters, purchase receipts, or event tickets
The Font Software may be embedded into an Electronic Publication if
- a license is held for that individual document,
- the Font Software is embedded through the use of a file format that protects the Font Software by means of encryption or other means (Adobe or IDPF Font Obfuscation),
- the document is distributed in a secure format that does not permit the extraction of the embedded Font Software, such as but not limited to PDF, EPUB 2 or later, or KF8,
- the Electronic Publication is a non-executable file displayable by e-reader software or on an e-reader device, and
- the Font Software is not installed in the operating system of the device on which the Electronic Publication is running,
- the Font Software is not offered as part of a product released under an open source software agreement.
2 Binding Agreement
You hereby agree to be bound by this Agreement and you acknowledge that all use of the Font Software is governed by this Agreement.
3 License Grant
You are hereby granted a non-exclusive, non-assignable license to embed the Font Software
- into one (1) Electronic Publication, and
- such Electronic Publication is distributed in a secure format that does not permit the extraction of the embedded Font Software.
You may not give, lend, sell, rent, lease, or sublicense the Font Software, or any copy thereof, except as expressly provided in this Agreement.
3.1 Proof of Licensure
Your purchase receipt is your record of licensure. The purchase receipt lists the owner of the license, and the name of the Font Software licensed. A copy of the purchase receipt is retained by Out Of Step Font Company.
3.2 Transfer of the License
Grant of the license, consisting of all your rights to use the Font Software, may be transferred to another person or legal entity provided that
- the transferee accepts this Agreement,
- the transferee agrees to be bound by all terms and conditions of the Agreement, and
- you destroy all copies of the Font Software, including permanent removal of all copies recorded onto all forms of digital physical storage media.
3.3 Alterations to Font Software
You may not alter, change, or modify the Font Software. The includes the addition of functionality that the Font Software did not have when delivered to you by Out of Step Font Company, or part of the coding stating that the Font Software is only authorized for certain purposes.
3.4 Copies of the Font Software
You have the right to one (1) back-up copy of Font Software. The back-up copy is to be used for archival purposes only, such as to restore the Font Software in case of hardware failure.
You shall retain exclusive custody and control over the back-up copy.
The one (1) back-up copy must contain the same copyright, trademark, and other proprietary notices that appear in the Font Software.
The back-up copy of the Font Software must be destroyed upon termination of the Agreement.
4 Intellectual and Industrial Property Rights.
You agree that the Font Software is protected by the copyright law and other intellectual and industrial property rights of Canada and its various Provinces, by the copyright law and other intellectual and industrial property rights of other nations, and by international treaties.
Under the terms of this agreement, you may not
- copy the Font Software, except as expressly provided herein,
- adapt, modify, alter, translate, convert, or otherwise change the Font Software,
- create Derivative Works from Font Software or any portion thereof,
- use Font Software in connection with software and/or hardware which create Derivative Works of such Font Software,
- reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise attempt to discover the source code or instructions of the Font Software, unless located in a European Community member country where such conduct is legal, and the conduct is in accordance with the applicable local law, and
- change any trademark or trade name designation for the Font Software,
Under the terms of this agreement, you further agree
- that Out of Step Font Company owns all right, title and interest in and to the Font Software, its structure, organization, code, and related files, including all intellectual and industrial property rights therein such as copyright, design and trademarks rights,
- that the Font Software, its structure, organization, code, and related files are valuable property of Out of Step Font Company and that any intentional or negligent use of the Font Software not expressly permitted by the Agreement constitutes an infringement of intellectual and industrial property rights,
- to use trademarks associated with the Font Software according to accepted trademark practice, including identification of the trademark owner's name,
- that the use of any trademark as authorized herein does not give you any rights of ownership in that trademark. All use of any trademark shall inure to the sole benefit of Out of Step Font Company.
5 Limited Warranty
The Font Software is provided with a limited warranty. The Font Software is warranted to perform in accordance with its documentation a period of ninety (90) days following download of the Font Software.
If the Font Software does not perform substantially in accordance with its documentation, the entire, exclusive, and cumulative liability and remedy shall be limited to the refund of the license fee you paid to Out of Step Font Company to purchase the Font Software.
No warranty is provided on the performance or results obtained through the use of the Font Software.
This Agreement shall be terminated immediately upon failure by you or any member of the License Unit to comply with the terms of this Agreement. Notice of termination will be communicated by regular mail, telefax or email.
Termination of the Agreement does not preclude Out of Step Font Company from suing you for damages as the result of any breach of the Agreement.
This Agreement may only be modified in writing, and the modifications will only be valid if signed by an authorized officer of Out of Step Font Company.
8 Company Information
V1.0, April 24, 2015